Electric Garden was screened at the Façade video Festival 2010.
Façade is a project of Art Today Association – Center for Contemporary art – Plovdiv, The Ancient Bath.
A project by Jakob Racek, cultural manager at the Art Today Association, Plovdiv, BulgariaOctober 5 ̶ 10, 2010, Plovdiv Old TownIt was for the first time that in October 2010 the Bulgarian city of Plovdiv hosted the international Façade Video Festival. Building exteriors in the picturesque historic city centre turned into screens for video art in all its varieties. The concept of the festival comprised two major ideas:
Instead of being a passive background, urban space is transformed into an active zone, a medium. The rather neglected public space of the Old Town of Plovdiv becomes a vivid place of artistic encounter. Film fans and random passers-by form an audience in a unique surrounding. The facades themselves start to act, talk and move – they become alive.
Video art leaves its hermetically sealed venues, such as galleries, museums and art-house cinemas. It is taken out onto the street to address the public directly. The facade becomes a new medium of encounter between artist and viewer, between art and urban environment. Following this approach, the festival served as a stage where an interested audience, cultural institutions, curators, artists and critics from all over the world were invited to exchange ideas, meanings and experience in the field of contemporary art.
More than 100 competition entries of emerging and advanced video artists from over 25 countries were selected by an international jury. The festival’s main competition panel was accompanied by a series of parallel events. Some of Germany’s most progressive and influential artists in the recent decades were represented in the festival feature “40 Years of Video Art”.
As a portrait of today’s state of video art, the special screening of the Artists-in-Berlin Programme of the DAAD was dedicated to recent works of Deimantas Narkevicius, Armando Andrade Tudelas, Guy Ben-Ner, Agnieszka Brzeżańska, Bethan Huws, Pavel Braila und Phil Collins. Within the open class panel Bettina Steinbrügge talked about “Insights into curatorial practice: Between arts, cinema and performance”. In addition to that, on the occasion of Gustav Mahler’s 150th birthday anniversary the German formation shortfilmlivemusic presented new video art pieces arranged for “a vision’s gleaming sounds”.
Videos by Sylvia Nicolaides – Cyprus, Nadine Zoller – Germany, Clare Harris – UK, Daniela Risch – Germany, Tahir Ün – Turkey, Kati Bessenyei – Hungary, Daniel – Nicolae Djamo – Romania, Katerina Apostolidou – Greece, Kika Nicolela – Brazil, Thiago Parizi – Spain, Katerina Liana – Greece, Mikael Prey – Sweden, Éva Vica Kovács – Hungary, Niall Farrell – Northern Ireland, Albert Mayr – Austria, Kalina Terzieva – Bulgaria, Costa Tonev – Bulgaria, Marta Daeuble – France, Micheline Durocher – Canada, Chiara Scarfo – Italy, Luce Michnova – Czech Republic, Yunji Park – South Korea, Wei-Ming Ho – Taiwan, Gerbrand Burger – The Nederlands, Baptist Coelho – India, Emanuela lorga – Moldova, Gun Holmstrom – Finland
FAÇADE VIDEO FESTIVAL 2011
Electric Garden was presented on opening nite of Facade Video Festival in Plodiv, Bulgaria on Friday 09 09 2011. The programme of the evening was :
20:30 – Cocktail opening of the festival, Lapidarium (next to the Balabanov House)
- 21:00 – Start of the screenings
- Alles in Ordnung (Everything’s Fine) – Verena Seibt and Clea Stracke, Germany 2010
- Without title– Christian Eisenberger, Germany, 2010
- Stone Scissors Paper – Sylvia Nicolaides, Cyprus, 2010
- Electric Garden – Micheline Dorucher, Canada, 2009
- I Am – Sylvia Nicolaides, Cyprus, 2009
- Without title (Jona) – Andreas Schneider, Germany, 2008
- The Steamroller and the Plumbers – Thiago Parizi, Germany, 2011
- Touchscape – Kenji Ouellet, Germany, 2010
- Cesta (Journey) – Marta Daeuble, France, 2011
- Instructional Video – Kalina Terzieva, Bulgaria, 2011
- Synchronisation – Kamen Stoyanov, Austria, 2010
- Beneath It All… I Am Human – Baptist Coelho, India, 2009
- Self-Destruction for Eternity – Wei-Ming Ho, Taiwan, 2011
- Nordic Mosh – Gun Holmstrom, Finland, 2011
- (en) vestida – Anna Natt and Alex Forge, Germany, 2011
- 23:00 – Open end – after party in the Center for Contemporary Art – Plovdiv, The Ancient Bath, with music by Yankovable, Gone Thru & Martin
Artists participating in the festival :